Phew. I turn 27 today. So much life lived and sooo much more to go. I’ve been fortunate enough to take advantage of the messiness that is our 20s and soak up every bit of knowledge I can up to this point. I love that I love to learn and I hope that part of me never dies. I can honestly say that at this point in my life, the most important thing to me is fulfilling my purpose. Whether that be in my relationships, my career, my contributions to society or anything else, I want to leave a mark that is good and kind and gentle. One that makes the world better. And every time I mess up, I learn and I adjust. So here’s my wisdom from 27 years. Take it or leave it. I won’t be offended.
- Chosen family can be just as deep as blood family. Choose wisely and keep them close.
- Your health is top priority. Find a kind of fitness you genuinely enjoy. Eat foods that fuel you. You only get one body and that’s it. Take care of her.
- Healing is a lifelong journey and it’s a choice. Some people will go to their grave shoving down the trauma and the hurt because it’s too painful or too scary to approach. Be brave. Heal anyway. It will hurt, but the peace on the other side is a taste you will never want to let go of.
- There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, quite like female friendships. The ways you can snort laugh and giggle endlessly and in the same conversation cry out a deep pain and hold each other close. The way they protect you by pointing out things you don’t see and how you can pick up right where you left off over dinner. Priceless.
- Forgive people. Bitterness is the most poisonous thing you can let happen to yourself. It turns boundaries into walls, love into hate, and peace into chaos. Forgive those who aren’t sorry because holding on to anger will only hurt you, not them. Hold the same forgiveness for yourself, too.
- TRAVEL. Go to new places and meet people who are completely different than you. The world is so much bigger than the bubbles we live in and it’s important to be regularly humbled by that reminder.
- “A belief is only a thought you continue to think. If you want to change your beliefs, choose a different thought. Again and again and again.”
- Eat GOOD, fancy food. I mean it. Spoil yourself with the yummy, delicious, mouth-watering meals once in a while.
- Let people be who they are. Adjust your proximity accordingly.
- Happy people don’t have to convince others that they are happy. It just shows.
- No feeling is final.
- You can always change. Change your wardrobe, change your career, change your mind, change your life. It will never, ever be too late.
- Trust your gut. You don’t have to have a reason. Just trust it. Your intuition is there to protect and serve you. (This is not to be confused with anxiety. Learn to know the difference.)
- Words are hollow when behavior is saying something different.
- Be curious, not judgmental.
- If you’re going to date or marry someone, make sure they make you happier, not happy.
- Say the compliment in your head. See a girl wearing a fabulous dress? Tell her. Notice a gentleman with a nice smile? Tell him. Thinking about how kind your friend is to others? Remind them you see it. It’s free, easy, and might change the course of someone’s day.
- Oh you don’t like people??? Well guess what? People are all we’ve got. Find a way to love them anyway, even if at a distance.
- Read more fiction. Read more non-fiction. Just read more, in general.
- Learning to communicate well and effectively is one of the most underrated soft skills you could ever have in your career and relationships. PRACTICE. Mess up. Then practice again.
- Sleep is the #1 need as a human. Over food, water, and shelter even. Make sure you’re getting enough of it and consistently at that.
- Don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself a little.
- Alcohol is literal poison. It deteriorates our brains and changes who we are. And yet it is the most encouraged drug of choice in society. Be wary. Be cautious. Take sobriety breaks or go sober completely. If you can’t have fun with your friends sober, it’s time to re-evaluate.
- Learn to enjoy your own company. Learn to love your choices and to make choices you love. You have to live with you forever.
- Getting your hair done is a top 5 feeling. I don’t make the rules. Instant confidence booster. Every damn time.
- Your relationship with money will impact just about everything else in your life. If it’s unhealthy, get some help with it. Financial freedom can change everything.
- Laughter is the absolute most important medicine in today’s society. Find people, movies, books or whatever medium to ensure this is a regular occurrence.
Cheers to an ever-growing list of learnings. Thank you to my readers for being a part of my purpose. You all propelled me in the direction I needed. Hugs.
5 thoughts on “27 Learnings in 27 Years”
Meg! First of all, Happy Birthday!! It’s great to see you reflecting on all of the lessons learned that come with the life. You hit the nail on the head with each of these—can’t relate to number 25 personally (bald guy!) but am sure it’s a great feeling. Keep on keeping on!
For translation, I can say that #25 compares to feeling fire in a tux or a having really good workout, if that helps at all – 😂. Thanks so much, Mark!
You have your whole life still ahead of you! Keep going!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! ❤️ You’re so right
LikeLiked by 1 person
I spent so many of my younger days (I’m in my 40’s now) frying brain cells because I felt like my life would go nowhere. Now here I am dealing with those choices. I wish I could change things, but I can’t. I read this post and it reminded me of all that. You’re very welcome! And just know it will work out!
LikeLiked by 1 person